Online FSSAI Registration
Anyone who wants to start a business in the food industry, whether it’s food processing, manufacturing, packaging, or distribution, must first register with the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI).
The FSSAI acts as a regulator for these enterprises, enforcing the FSSAI Act 2006’s norms and regulations.
Get an FSSAI registration license in the shortest time possible with experienced help from Incorpz in only four simple steps –
- Guidance on selecting the food license types
- Verification of your FSSAI registration documents
- Filing your online FSSAI application
- Procurement of FSSAI food license
Why online FSSAI license is required? Benefits
- Access to evidence-based studies say that can help you enhance or design your work policies.
- New knowledge is developed, which can help you improve your safety standards and meet international organization benchmarks.
A food license instils a high level of trust in your customers. It establishes the foundation for a long and healthy connection with the buyer, since they believe you provide outstanding food quality.
FSSAI online registration in India – A detailed process
STEP 1 – Consulting, Documentation & Filing
- Our online application is filled out by you. Our experts are available to assist you with any questions you may have.
- Our professionals provide advice on the type of license that is required.
- The documents are then collected by email.
- The paperwork is double-checked.
- For the actual license process, Form A and Form B are generated.
- We file it with the concerned authorities.
STEP 2 – Follow up and waiting for Approval
- We address any questions the authorities may have once the CS or CA has filed the application.
- The food department’s follow-up is facilitated by us.
- After that, you’ll have to wait 20 days while the government reviews your application.
STEP 3 – Delivery Of License
- A digital and print copy of the license is mailed to you at the given address once it has been accepted.
- The license can be obtained in as little as 30 days.
This is the waiting period for a basic license. The government approval process for the other two licenses can take up to 50 days.
Documents required for FSSAI Registration Process
There are some documents that must be presented with the FSSAI online application, whether it is for a food safety management registration or a manufacturing license. The required documents for each type of FSSAI registration is listed below:
- FSSAI Registration
- An identity proof that contains a photograph
- A passport sized photograph
- State & Central License
- Proof of address
- Import/export code
- A passport sized photograph
- A list of directors or partners
- A certificate of incorporation
- The MoA and AoA of the business
- An identity proof that contains a photograph
- No Objection Certificate from the local municipality
For manufacturing units, besides the above-listed documents, the following are also required:
- The blueprint of warehouse, plant, etc.
- A list of all machinery
- Report of a water test
- List of all food categories
Who requires a Food License?
Every Food Business Operator must be licensed/registered with the FSSAI. Small businesses, such as hawkers and petty retailers, must register with the FSSAI if their annual turnover is less than Rs.12 lakhs. All food businesses with an annual turnover of more than Rs 12 lakhs are required to obtain an FSSAI registration license.
Whether your business is small or large, you must obtain an FSSAI State License or an FSSAI Central License, depending on your needs. Large manufacturers, exporters, importers, etc typically obtain a Central License, whereas mid-sized entities such as transporters, traders, etc require a State License.
If your company falls into any of the following categories, you must obtain a food licence.
To be more specific, any individual or company that works with food substances from farm to plate must obtain a food license from the FSSAI. A more comprehensive list of those who require an FSSAI registration certificate can be found here:
- Food chains
- Food sellers and resellers
- Dairy and dairy processing
- Food importers and exporters
- Processors like pickle and dry fruit maker
- Suppliers of raw materials to the food industry
- Retailers and businesses with a retail outlet
- Canteens in corporations, schools, colleges, hospitals, or government institutions that use simple transporters to move items from one location to another
- Manufacturers of packaged foods such as biscuits and ready-to-eat products
Instead of a production license, storage units and warehouses require a food safety registration.
FSSAI license types in India
According to the FSSAI Act of 2006, all food businesses must be registered/licensed:
FSSAI registration: This is the most common type of food license, and it is issued for:
- Businesses with a low turnover – approximately 12 lakh INR
- FBO that is at the budding stage such as a dairy with a capacity of less than 500 Litres/day.
- This license is ideal for businesses such as tea shops, canteens, food processors, and small warehouses. It can be upgraded as the company’s capacity and profit increase.
The State License: Companies with a profit of more than 12 lakhs but less than 20 crores INR are required to obtain a state license.
Here are some examples:
- Dairies with a capacity of more than 50,000 Litres per day
- Hotels with a 3-star rating and above
The catering industry is an exception in this regard. Regardless of their turnover, they must apply for a state license rather than a basic FSSAI registration license.
The Central License: The above-mentioned licenses were for small and medium-sized businesses. The central registration is intended for larger businesses. It is given to:
- Businesses that provide food to government offices and departments.
- Trades with a turnover of more than Rs. 20 crores.
- Importers and exporters of food
Significance of FSSAI license number format
A 14-digit food license will contain a State Code and registration number.
Every food package must carry a label. This label mandatorily should contain:
- The logo of FSSAI
- License number
How can we assist you with FSSAI registration and food licence? Why Incorpz?
Incorpz offers a complete food licencing and FSSAI registration service. Our commitment to every food product company is as follows:
- FSSAI Registration in the shortest possible time
- Complete assistance with FSSAI online application filling
- Advice on Choosing the Correct Food License Type
- Handholding throughout the registration process
- Solution to all your queries and concerns
Our guiding principle at Incorpz is to ensure that your food business starts as soon as possible and as smoothly as possible.
Apply For FSSAI Registration Now
Non-compliance with FSSAI regulations
Noncompliance with the FSSAI regulations can be costly. Producing and distributing food products without an FSSAI registration or license will result in a severe penalty and may adversely affect your brand’s reputation.
Food Safety Officers will conduct food inspections, and compliance levels will be granted to the food business. The following criteria will be used to grade compliance:
- Partial Compliance
- Not Applicable/ Not Observed (NA)
The Food Safety Officer may issue an improvement notice in accordance with the above markings. If the standards are not met despite warnings, the officer has the authority to revoke the license.
Furthermore, if the Food business operator (FBO) is dissatisfied with the Food Safety Officer’s improvement notice, they may file an appeal with the State Commissioner of Food Safety. Their decisions can also be challenged through an appeal to the Food Safety Appellate Tribunal/High Court.
Benefits of Acquiring FSSAI License:
Businesses benefit from FSSAI licensing and registration in the following ways:
- Many thanks to the digital world, because consumers are becoming more aware of the origins of the food they consume.
- Having a valid FSSAI registration enables businesses to improve and boost their credibility.
- Because the FSSAI logo is widely recognized, it can ensure consumer trust.
- Streamlines all processes involved in the production, distribution, and sale of food products.
- Makes food manufacturing more reliant on scientific principles.
- When FSSAI registration is involved, the important aspects of hygiene and cleanliness are regulated and followed.
- The FSSAI registration or license provides a platform for producing high-quality food products that meet international food standards.
- The FSSAI license has a positive impact on the company’s dependability and production, giving it a huge opportunity to expand and grow.
- The FSSAI license is required when exporting food products to other countries.
- FSSAI is also in charge of developing guidelines and procedures for quality assurance in accredited labs in accordance with ISO17025.
FSSAI license validity:
The FSSAI license rules are strict. FSSAI licenses for food establishments are valid for 1 to 5 years. It is mandatory to apply for license renewal 30 days before the current license expires. Non-renewal of licenses can result in a Rs.100 fine per day until the renewal is completed. If a license is not renewed by the due date, it will become invalid, and businesses will have to apply for a new license.
Guidelines to be followed for FSSAI License Number:
There are rules for FSSAI license numbers that are similar to the guidelines for FSSAI license.
- The FSSAI logo and license number must be clearly displayed on the food package label in a colour that contrasts with the background.
- If multiple units are involved in the manufacturing process, the FSSAI logo and license of the brand owner should be printed on the package, with the addresses of the other units displayed on the label with the FSSAI license number.
- Imported food products are not exempt from following the FSSAI guidelines. Before an imported food product can be cleared through customs, the importer’s FSSAI license number, name, address, and FSSAI logo must be pre-printed on a label or sticker and affixed to it.
- The guidelines for the height of the letters and numerals of the license number must remain as specified in 2.3.3 of the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulation, 2011. Similarly, the FSSAI license number and logo must be displayed in accordance with Regulation 2.6.1 of the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling), 2011.
- The FSSAI logo should not be interpreted as any kind of certification. It only indicates that the FBOs’ license is still valid under the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006.
FSSAI Rules and Regulations for the Food Industry and Food Businesses:
- The FSSAI registration and license must be prominently displayed on the business premises, along with a passport-sized photo of the person whose name the license is obtained.
- It is the food business operator’s responsibility to notify the FSSAI authorities of any changes or modifications he or she intends to make to the food business.
- The FBO is required to employ at least one person with technical skills to supervise production.
- Annual returns for the period 1st April to 31st March of the following year must be filed promptly before the 31st of May of that year.
- FSSAI licensees must strictly adhere to the food preparation conditions, its processing and storage.
Guidelines to modify FSSAI License and FSSAI Registration:
- When applying for a modification approval, all required documents must be submitted.
- Form C is an important document that must be filled out with the necessary criteria in order to seek approval for business changes or modifications. Form C can be used to add a new business to an existing one, as well as to change details such as addresses, phone numbers, product names, and so on.
- Designated officers in the FSSAI department, as well as professional liaisons, can assist with the filing process.
- All other information and documents will be supported by the NON-FORM C MODIFICATION.
- Along with all applications, the FBO must provide the necessary evidence and proof of change. The Designated Officers, or DO, will review all submitted documents and forms. Any question or objection raised by the DO must be answered within 30 days by the FBO, along with any additional information or documents that may be required.
FAQs on FSSAI Registration
☑ How to do FSSAI registration renewal?
Renew your FSSAI registration or license 30 days before the expiration of your current license. To do so, you must provide Incorpz with your current license number. We will submit Form A and Form B once we receive the license number in order to renew your FSSAI registration. This procedure should take between 30 and 40 days to complete. According to the government, the renewal fee is the same as the cost of a new license.
☑ Do I need a single license for the company if I have multiple manufacturing units in different states, or do I need separate licenses for each unit?
Your company’s registered office will require a central license. Your manufacturing units will also require individual state licenses for each state in which they operate.
☑ Is an FSSAI licence required for the import of foodstuffs for sale in India?
You do, indeed. You must have a central licence registered from the address listed in the Import Export Code.
☑ Is it necessary for 100% export units to obtain FSSAI certification?
Yes, whether importing or exporting food, FSSAI licencing is required.
☑ Is an FSSAI licence required just to manufacture food additives?
Yes, an FSSAI licence is required if you manufacture, distribute, transport, or trade food additives.
☑ Is an FSSAI license required for a Central Government-approved catering business?
It is required for all catering establishments, including railways, defence, and airports.
☑ What is the requirement when there are multiple warehouses in the same location but operated by different entities?
If you have multiple warehouses in the same city, you will need separate licenses for each. If all of your warehouses are on the same campus, you can apply for a single license using the campus address.
☑ How do I renew my FSSAI license?
We offer FSSAI registration / license and renewal services at Incorpz.
☑ What is the process for obtaining a restaurant licence?
At Incorpz, we simplify the process so that you can complete it quickly and easily. Simply fill out a form online and send us the necessary documents, and we will obtain your FSSAI restaurant licence on your behalf. We will notify you of the status of your license within 20 to 40 working days, after which you can relax and focus on your business.
FSSAI Proposes for Changes in Foreign Food Import Regulations
18th November 2020
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), India’s national food regulator, has proposed changes to import regulations that would require mandatory registration and auditing of foreign food manufacturing facilities that import particular food items.
The FSSAI is preparing to roll out its cloud-based Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) to the entire country.
26th October 2020
After being operational in Tamil Nadu, Delhi, Gujarat, Odisha, Chandigarh, Goa, Manipur, Puducherry, and Ladakh since June 1st, 2020, the FSSAI plans to roll out its cloud-based (FoSCoS) system to the entire country on November 1st, 2020.
The FSSAI has issued a directive to sweet shop owners to display the “Expiry Date” for unpackaged sweet products.
27th September 2020
Starting October 1, 2020, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has made it mandatory for sweet shop owners to display the expiry date for their unpackaged sweet products. The owners of the sweet shops have also been asked to display the manufacturing dates, however, the rule is not mandatory.
FSSAI: Junk Food Sales Are Restricted Near School Campuses
09th August 2020
The sale of junk food within 50 metres of the school campus has been prohibited by FSSAI. Advertisement has also been prohibited. The FSSAI’s goal is to promote a healthy, nutritious diet among school children.
FSSAI Gives FBOs More Time to Comply with Food Safety Regulations
27th June 2020
The FSSAI has decided to give FBOs (Food Business Operators) and distribution agencies more time to comply with the Food Safety and Standards (Recovery and Distribution of Surplus Food) Regulations, 2019. The deadline for compliance has been extended until January 1st, 2021, according to a Notification dated June 25th, 2020.
FSSAI CEO: Food Safety Is A Marathon
22nd February 2020
New Delhi – The country has not addressed all aspects of food safety and nutrition, despite the fact that the food industry has “perfectly diagnosed the disease and produced a treatment regimen,” according to the outgoing FSSAI chief executive in a social media post directed at food companies.
FSSAI Working To Improve Hygiene At Food And Meat Markets: Coronavirus Outbreak
17th February 2020
In light of the deadly coronavirus infection that originated in a Chinese meat market, India’s food regulators FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) announced that it has increased efforts to improve hygiene and sanitation in the country.